Huge congratulations to the winners of the 2019 Government Counter Fraud Awards, announced at a gala ceremony in London on 13 February 2019.
These teams and individuals – and those shortlisted – represent the very best of the public sector’s efforts to tackle the growing threat of fraud, going above and beyond in order to find new ways to fight fraud and prevent the damage it causes.
- Outstanding Collaboration – Operation Holmes: Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), Rotherham Counter Fraud and Compliance Directorate, Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council Housing Benefits and South Yorkshire Police Rotherham Central Team
- Excellence in Fraud Prevention – HMRC ‘Tackling Alcohol Fraud at Source’ campaign
- Excellence in Raising Fraud Awareness – Lincolnshire County Council’s Counter Fraud and Investigation Team’s (CFIT) fraud awareness for schools campaign
- Government Counter Fraud Team of the Year – NHS Scotland Counter Fraud Services Fraud Prevention Team
- Outstanding Proactive Detection – HMRC Fraud Investigation Service (FIS) initiative to combat VAT Flat Rate Scheme fraud
- Innovative Approach to Sanctions and Redress – Operation Octopod: HMRC Fraud Investigation Service (FIS), Criminal Taxes Unit (CTU), part of the Proceeds of Crime Team, assisting London RART and the MPS Proactive Money Laundering Taskforce
- Outstanding International Collaboration – International Charity Fraud Awareness Week: a campaign run by the Charity Commission for England and Wales and the Fraud Advisory Panel with partners in Australia, New Zealand and the US
- Outstanding Contribution to the Government Counter Fraud Profession (GCFP) – Government Internal Audit Agency (GIAA) Counter Fraud and Investigation team
The following entries were highly commended by the judges:
- Excellence in Raising Fraud Awareness – Merseyside Police (Southport & Formby) and Home Instead Senior Care’s scam awareness campaign
- Government Counter Fraud Team of the Year – Counter Fraud Services Team at Devon Audit Partnership
- Outstanding Contribution to the Government Counter Fraud Profession (GCFP) – HMRC Fraud Investigation Service (FIS) GCFP team